ClassicPopIcons.com brings you news, reviews and features on the all time greats of popular music.
Yusuf (Cat Stevens) will perform his first US shows in over 35 years in December, following a number of European dates. The singer will perform classic hits and songs from his forthcoming rhythm and blues album “Tell ‘Em I’m Gone”.
The US leg of “The Peace Train … Late Again” tour begins on December 1 at Massey Hall in Toronto and concludes on December 14 at Nokia Theatre LA LIVE in Los Angeles, CA.
The Peace Train…Late Again North American tour dates:
- 1 December – Massey Hall, Toronto
- 4 December – Citi Performing Arts Center Wang Theatre, Boston
- 7 December – Beacon Theatre, New York City
- 9 December – The Chicago Theatre, Chicago
- 12 December – The Masonic, San Francisco
- 14 December – Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE, Los Angeles.
The European tour dates are as follows:
- 4 November – Hammersmith Eventim Apollo, London, UK
- 9 November – Forest National, Brussels, Belgium
- 11 November – Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy
- 13 November – Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria
- 16 November – Zenith, Paris, France
- 20 November – Tempodrom, Berlin, Germany
- 23 November – CCH 1, Hamburg, Germany
- 25 November – Mitsubishi Electric Hall, Dusseldorf, Germany
On the “Tell ‘Em I’m Gone” album, Yusuf has returned to the American blues and R&B music that inspired him as a youth, with each song exploring the themes of freedom and peace. The album comprises original material in the R&B style, including “I Was Raised In Babylon” and “Cat And The Dog Trap,” as well as covers of well known blues and pop standards such as “Big Boss Man” and “You Are My Sunshine”.
Yusuf says of the new album:
Although I was to venture through many lyrical terrains, melodious valleys and cadences during my fifty-year musical and spiritual exploration, and though many would agree that I have covered a lot of ground, there was always one path I meant to take. Hidden in the background behind my renowned troubadour persona lurked an R&B alter-self waiting to be let free.
What’s powerful and profound, to me, is the overall message which emerged, lyrically. It suddenly stared me in the face: the innate struggle for Freedom! Isn’t that what most human beings dream of? Music and the Blues particularly was a means of escape for many chained to the destiny of the rich and powerful.
“Tell ‘Em I’m Gone” tracklist
- I Was Raised In Babylon (Yusuf)
- Big Boss Man (Luther Dixon-Al Smith)
- Dying To Live (Edgar Winter)
- You Are My Sunshine (Jimmie Davis-Charles Mitchell, arr. Yusuf)
- Editing Floor Blues (Yusuf)
- Cat And The Dog Trap (Yusuf)
- Gold Digger (Yusuf)
- The Devil Came From Kansas (Gary Brooker-Keith Reid)
- Tell ‘Em I’m Gone (originally “Take This Hammer,” arr. Yusuf)
- Doors (Yusuf).
Here’s Yusuf’s cover of Edgar Winter’s “Dying To Live”.
“Tell ‘Em I’m Gone” features contributions from Richard Thompson, blues harmonica legend Charlie Musselwhite, singer-songwriter Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, Tuareg group Tinariwen, and guitarist Matt Sweeney. The album was produced by Yusuf and Rick Rubin and was mixed by Yusuf and Paul Samwell-Smith.
The album will be released on October 27. American fans who pre-order “Tell ‘Em I’m Gone” on Amazon.com by Sunday, September 21 at 11:59pm PDT will receive early access to purchase tickets to the US tour dates. Go to the “Tell ‘Em I’m Gone” ticket offer page for further information.
If buying after the cut-off date or not interested in the ticket deal, you can pre-order the album via the links below.
Tell ‘Em I’m Gone (CD)
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||N/A||N/A|
Tell ‘Em I’m Gone (Download)
|Buy Now||N/A||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
Tags: Cat Stevens, Cat Stevens new album, Cat Stevens Tell Em I'm Gone, Cat Stevens tour, Tell Em I'm Gone, The Peace Train Late Again tour, Yusuf, Yusuf new album, Yusuf Tell Em I'm Gone, Yusuf tour
Posted in Blues, Gigs, New releases | No Comments »
“Feast of Friends,” a film by The Doors about their 1968 summer tour, will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in November.
The film was originally shown at a few film festivals in 1968, but has remained officially unreleased since.
“Feast of Friends” has been restored from the original negative, with colour-correction and high-definition remastering. The soundtrack has also also been remixed and remastered by the Doors co-producer/engineer Bruce Botnick.
The film was shot over five months in the spring/summer of 1968, beginning with a show at the Santa Rosa Fairgrounds on April 13. The original concept was to include fictional scenes, but this was abandoned and the film re-edited to feature live footage intercut with fly-on-the-wall candid footage of the band.
“Feast of Friends” trailer
Although the complete film has remained in the vaults, Ray Manzarek did use “Feast of Friends” footage when producing videos for MTV in the 1980s.
The title will feature the following bonus features:
- “Feast of Friends: Encore” – A complimentary piece using footage shot for “Feast of Friends”. Viewers will witness previously unreleased footage of the band as they tour, record, travel and vacation together
- “The Doors Are Open” – British documentary about The Doors’ performance at London’s Roundhouse, which took place just days after the completion of filming for “Feast Of Friends”. Although previously released, the film has undergone significant picture and sound restoration for this release
- “The End” – A performance of “The End” filmed in Toronto, Canada in August 1967 for “The O’Keefe Centre Presents: The Rock Scene – Like It Is”. Also included is the introduction by Noel Harrison and later interviews by John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Danny Sugerman.
“Feast of Friends” is available to pre-order now in the UK.
Feast of Friends (DVD)
Feast of Friends (Blu-ray)
Tags: Feast of Friends, Feast of Friends Blu-ray, Feast of Friends DVD, The Doors, The Doors Feast of Friends
Posted in New releases, Rock music | No Comments »
The New Releases page has been updated to include this month’s music CD, DVD and Blu-ray releases from classic artists.
Highlights for September include:
- Johnny Winter’s final studio album “Step Back” (2 Sep)
- “Eric Clapton & Friends – The Breeze (An Appreciation of JJ Cale)” 2 CD and 4 LP special editions (2 Sep)
- “The Beatles in Mono” 14-LP vinyl box set (9 Sep)
- Robert Plant’s new studio album “lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar” (9 Sep)
- “Queen: Live at the Rainbow” on Blu-ray and DVD (9 Sep)
- Jimi Hendrix’s “Cry of Love” and “Rainbow Bridge on CD and vinyl (16 Sep)
- Barbara Streisand’s duets album “Partners” (16 Sep)
- “George Harrison – The Apple Years 1968-75″ 7 CD/DVD box set and individual remastered Apple albums (23 Sep)
- Leonard Cohen’s new album “Popular Problems” (23 Sep)
- Prince’s new albums “PlectrumElectrum” and “Art Official Age” (30 Sep)
- “ABBA – Live at Wembley” on CD and vinyl (30 Sep).
Tags: new CDs, new music Blu-rays, new music DVDs, new music releases, new releases
Posted in New releases | No Comments »
Stevie Wonder will perform his classic album “Songs In The Key of Life” during an 11-date North American tour, which begins on November 6 at Madison Square Garden, New York.
Tags: Songs In The Key Of Life The Performance, stevie wonder, Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life The Performance, Stevie Wonder tour
Posted in Gigs | No Comments »
The Beatles’ original LPs have been remastered from the analogue master tapes for a limited edition 14-LP vinyl box set titled “The Beatles In Mono”.
Tags: The Beatles, The Beatles in mono, The Beatles in Mono vinyl box set
Posted in The Beatles | No Comments »